Tonight I set out to make a cookie that resembled marzipan, using only what I had in the cupboards (i.e. not marzipan)!
The result is light, fluffy, soft and squishy, deliciously almondy and sweet.
Makes 6-8 cookies.
You will need:
- 125 g plain flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g demerera sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75 ml water
- 20 ml amaretto almond liqueur (optional, you could substitue 1 tsp almond essense)
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
2. Combine the flour, almonds, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. You are aiming for a thick dough consistency that is not too sticky, so that it can be rolled out. It will be a bit moist, but hold together well in a ball.
4. Roll out to about 1 cm thick, then cut into shapes with a cookie cutter (I went for a heart shape as it was valentines day!). Alternatively you can roll into balls and squish with a spoon.
5. Place on a greased baking tray and bake at 180°C until golden brown (15-20 minutes).
6. When baked, remove from the tray with spatula and allow to cool on a rack.
You could decorate with melted chocolate and/or enjoy with a coffee.